How to Program Your Garage Door Opener Remote - (All Brands)
We live in a world where convenience has now become a priority. Many technologies with an automatic function are now available to meet this desire. That is also true for a garage door system. Through the garage door opener, you can control your garage door to open or close even at a distance.
Most garage door owners, especially those with cars, prefer a garage door opener controlled by a remote device. With a remote control device, they don’t have to get out of the vehicle and click the wall-mounted switch.
To open or close a garage door via a handheld remote, you need to program it first with the automatic opener unit. However, don’t be intimidated by garage door opener programming since it does not involve computer programming. Today, you will learn how to program your garage door opener remote.
What You Need to Program Your Garage Door Opener Remote
Before learning about the steps on how to program your garage door opener remote, you need to know first the things you will need. Naturally, you need a handheld remote device that is compatible with the brand of your automatic opener. Also, you need to make sure that the batteries are functioning well.
Moreover, the automatic opener unit is usually at the top of the garage. So, you need to have a stable ladder that is high enough to reach the garage door opener. Then, you will also need a screwdriver to access the buttons on your garage door opener.
Lastly, you need the garage door opener’s manual to familiarize yourself with the unit. In the manual, you can find how to program your garage door opener remote. However, if you are not confident, you can definitely call garage door companies that offer garage door repair services.
How to Program Garage Door Opener Step by Step
If you have suddenly lost your garage door opener remote and bought a new one, you need to program it again with the automatic opener. But before you buy a new remote device, make sure it works with your existing garage door opener brand.
Once you have the appropriate remote device for your automatic opener, you can follow the garage door opener remote programming steps listed below.
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener
Chamberlain garage door opener is one of the most famous brands of automatic openers. With its quality and durability, most garage door owners choose this brand. So, if you own this brand, you can follow the steps below for the Chamberlain garage door opener programming.
1. At the automatic opener unit, locate the small LED screen that displays different opener features.
2. Gently press the navigation button below the “Menu” to access the “Features” menu.
3. Click the navigation buttons until you scroll to the “Program” menu.
4. Select “Remote” to program.
5. On the remote device, press the button you wish to program.
6. Wait until a light flashes on the garage door opener or until you hear two clicks.
7. Test the programmed button. If it does not work, try the steps above again.
8. For additional remote controls, repeat the steps above.
Liftmaster Garage Door Opener
Liftmaster is another top-notch garage door opener brand popular among garage door owners. Aside from the automatic mechanism of garage door openers, Liftmaster provides smart features on its opener products.
For Liftmaster garage door opener programming, you can follow these steps:
1. Locate the buttons for Liftmaster garage door opener programming. Usually, they are at the back or side of the automatic unit.
2. If there is a cover, use the screwdriver to remove it.
3. Press and release the LEARN button, usually located beside the antenna and above an LED light indicator.
4. Within 30 seconds after step 3, press the desired button on the remote device for three seconds.
5. The LED light on the remote device should blink, or an LED indicator in the automatic opener should turn on.
6. Test the newly programmed button. If it does not work, try the steps above again for Liftmaster garage door opener programming.
Craftsman Garage Door Opener
Another well-known garage door opener brand is the Craftsman. It is widely available in the market, offering different automatic opener features. So if you are a Craftsman garage door opener owner who wishes to program its remote, you can follow the step-by-step process below.
1. Click the LEARN button on the garage door opener. The LED indicator will be on for about 30 seconds.
2. Wait until the light turns off.
3. Press and hold a remote device’s button you wish to program.
4. While pressing the remote’s button, press the “SRT” button on the automatic opener until a light flashes.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 if you have other remote controls you want to program.
6. Test the Chamberlain garage door opener. If the buttons don’t work, try the steps above again until it works.
Note: For all the garage door opener brands, the steps above are the standard guidelines on how to program a garage door opener remote. It is best to follow the manual for a more accurate procedure. Also, you should call a garage door opener repair company if your attempt at garage door opener programming is not successful.
How to Change Battery in Garage Door Opener Remote
The garage door opener’s remote depends on batteries to work. Like other battery-operated devices, the batteries may die unexpectedly. So, make sure to have backup batteries ready in your car. Depending on the model, garage door opener remote devices usually use lithium-ion or 1.5V alkaline batteries.
To change the batteries in the garage door opener remote, you may follow these steps:
1. Remove the back cover using your hand or a screwdriver whenever necessary.
2. Determine the battery requirements based on dead battery – number of batteries needed, volt requirement, and size.
3. Insert the battery following the proper terminals (positive and negative).
4. Test the garage door opener remote.
Usually, the garage door opener ‘s batteries last for about two years. If your garage door opener is unresponsive and the batteries are not the issue, contact a garage door opener repair service to pinpoint the problem.
How to Reset Garage Door Opener
There might be a time when you lose your garage door opener remote. In this instance, it is best to reset your garage door opener so that the old remote can no longer access your garage. To reset a garage door opener, here are the standard steps to follow:
1. Find the LEARN button on the garage door opener.
2. Press and hold the LEARN button until its LED indicator turns off (approximately six seconds).
3. The garage door opener now deletes the previous codes in its system. Now, you can program a new garage door opener remote.
Again, the steps above are the standard steps to reset a garage door opener remote. It is still best to consult the garage door opener manual since there are now different automatic opener brands and models on the market.
How to Set Up Garage Door Opener in Car
Nowadays, cars have dedicated buttons for garage door openers. So aside from a garage door opener remote, you can also program your automatic opener with a button inside your car. Here is a step-by-step guide to do that:
1. Find the garage door opener button in your car. Usually, it is at the bottom of the rearview mirror or sun visor of the driver’s side.
2. On the garage door opener, press the LEARN button.
3. Then within 30 seconds, press and hold the desired button inside the car. It is best if you have a helper who can do it.
4. Wait until a light flashes on the automatic opener or until you hear two clicks.
5. Test the newly programmed button and retry if it fails.